Aboriginal Basketball Academy
What is Aboriginal Basketball Academy
Connected Self is proud to partner with the Aboriginal Basketball Academy, South Australian High Schools and Colleges, Department of Sport & recreation and TAFE SA to deliver basketball as a specialised sports program for year 10, 11 & 12 Aboriginal students.
The mission of the Aboriginal Basketball Academy is to enrich the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait students, by providing life development skills and opportunities to further their education using the game of basketball. The goal is to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait students in becoming valuable and meaningful contributors and leaders to their communities by enrolling and participating in our academy.
As part of this partnership, Connected Self’s Joey Wyatt will lead 18 Aboriginal students as their Aboriginal mentor while Tim Brenton will be the head coach of the program.
How we can help
The Aboriginal Basketball Academy is committed to the development of Aboriginal student athletes. Our range of networks, resources and supports has created an environment to support development initiatives, basketball scholarships to institutions of higher learning and support staff for student athletes.
Some of the outcomes expected in 2017:
- Successful completion of a SACE subject.
- Successful completion of a Certificate II in Sport and Recreation.
- Greater understanding of health & wellbeing.
- Development of social & life skills.
- Pathway to elite sporting programs.
- Experiencing positive role models.
- Increasing opportunities for further education.
- Experiencing connection and solidarity.
How to access Aboriginal Basketball Academy
To find out more information, please contact (08) 8232 2438.