Rock & Water Program
What is the Rock & Water Program
The Rock & Water program is well known throughout school education systems around the world since it was written in the mid 1990’s. The program is founded on a psycho- physical framework, and has aspects of key philosophies such as brain gym, mindfulness and the philosophies of the “Rock & Water Program” developed by Dutch educationalist, Freerk Ykema.
The Rock & Water program has demonstrated its ability to:
- Teach centring and grounding techniques to adults, children and young people that create better teachers and more effective learners.
- Teach “self-respect” and “respect to others” as a concept that provides the foundation for shared learning and connecting opportunities.
- Build socially safe environments for children and young people.
- Provide a framework for teaching social skills and life skills for children, young people and adults.
- Incorporate a reflection framework for schools (psycho-physical approach).
- To provide opportunities through exercises and activities to raise body awareness, emotional awareness and self-awareness to improve teachers and students confidence, emotional management and reflection skills.
- Provide a common language for adults who perform supporting roles for children and young people e.g. teachers.
- Provide opportunities to develop self-management and personal control skills, skills that foster personal empowerment.
- Improve relationships with adults to adult, student-to-student and adult to student.
- Create a positive program approach with implicit approaches that provide explicit learning opportunities.
- Employ a “proactive” approach to working with people, in particular children and young people, as opposed to a crisis management or “reactive”, framework.
How we can help
Connected Self partner with schools and organisation to assess your needs to tailor each Rock & Water program we deliver. We have experienced Rock & Water Practitioners who are trained and accredited to deliver Rock & Water across primary and high school age students. We are well known throughout Australia, New Zealand and the Netherlands in implementing Rock & Water for children and young people with backgrounds of trauma and abuse, or presenting with complex needs and behaviours.
Some of our Rock & Water Program approaches include:
- 8 week or 16 week Rock & Water program for identified classrooms (primary, middle and high).
- Whole school approach.
- High school workshops.
- Tailored programs for New Arrival students transitioning to mainstream classrooms.
- Visits to Aboriginal communities.
- Special school programs 4-8 weeks.
- One off workshops for primary and high school students.
- One off workshops that promote social and life skills building as students transition to high school.
- Programs and workshops for young people living with ASD.
How to access the Rock & Water Program
For more information on tailoring a Rock & Water Program or Workshop for your school or organisation, please contact (08) 8232 2438 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.