Adelaide Art Therapy Services
Meet our Art Therapists
What is Art Therapy
Art Therapy is an evidence based and effective mental health support. Individuals use art as a way of communicating and to speak for them where words are not enough. Art making can be used to work through a problem or issue to and find a different way of looking at it. At other times the art process can provide a chance to release emotions and find a way of self-soothing. By using a creative approach the individual is in control of their own therapy; they are able to create new solutions or at the very least find a level of relief and hope in their experience. You don’t have to be good at art to partake in Art Therapy because it is about the experience of creating not the end product - it is not the same as art classes.
Some of the experiences/outcomes you can expect to get out of Art Therapy:
- Exploration of thoughts and feelings using art processes.
- Extend creative thinking: using and developing right brain hemisphere functioning which will assist with problem solving.
- Use of art to understand and communicate difficult thoughts and feelings.
- Safely address challenges such as difficulty expressing anger, feelings of anxiety and other confronting emotions.
- Use of art to learn and experience self regulation and self soothing.
- Art processes used in a guided therapeutic manner can help individuals to “get used to” and “be with” difficult emotions. This assists with the integration and healing of painful past experiences and historical trauma.
- New insights and understandings about problems or issues that may not have come to light before.
- A sense of catharsis and a feeling of being truly heard by another.
- Increased sense of wellbeing.
- Increased self awareness, reflective capacity and personal insight.
- Increased emotional literacy, through explicit and implicit non-verbal communication.
- Increased resilience, reduction of psychological distress and increased affect tolerance.
How is Art Therapy delivered
Connected Self Art Therapy services has a specialised consulting room for children, young people and adults to access Art Therapy sessions in a confidential and safe space. Individuals, families and groups can benefit from an Art Therapy approach. Each session is tailored to the specific needs of the individual or group. Private sessions are conducted on site at Connected Self (Adelaide CBD) and programs are delivered in community settings such as schools and community centres. Tailored small groups are delivered onsite at Connected Self. Group programs can be designed to fit a specific need and target audience and held in other settings as negotiated. Individual consultation sessions range from 60 to 90 minutes in length dependent upon specific needs.
How to access Art Therapy
Art Therapy can be delivered in a range of settings including within our specialised consulting room, primary and high schools, alternative educational settings, community centres and more. We are an approved NDIS provider and Art Therapy can be accessed using this funding where appropriate.
Please contact our friendly reception team on (08) 8232 2438 or email@example.com for more information.